Monday 2 March 2015

Birthday presents to myself

So just before the championships started I celebrated my birthday, and I bought two presents for myself. Now the presents didn't arrive until a week or so ago, but I'm very happy with them.

The first one is Jill Salen's Corsets. It's been on my wishlist for a long time and I regret that I haven't bought it earlier. I'm pretty confident when it comes to constructing Victorian corsets but I've more or less only used the TV pattern. With this book there are patterns for a lot more corsets, and I definitely feel inspired to make a corset with proper hip gores and cording now. I think what I like the most about the book are the clear illustrations on how to place the boning.

The other present to myself was Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion 2. I have the first one, and even if I haven't directly traced any patterns from it I've used it a lot for inspiration and instructions when it comes to constructing the garments. I am starting to feel more and more drawn to late Victorian fashion and with these two books I feel I have a good foundation to start with those kinds of projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment