Sunday 3 July 2016

An antique bodice

Yesterday something happened that I thought only happened to others. I've read from time to time about people doing proper antique finds in op shops, but I never thought it would happen to me. Yesterday thought my mother wanted to go to IKEA in Borlänge, the neighbouring town, and if we we were going I also wanted to go into the only craft store, Panduro, to pick up some thing for my current project. I also wanted to go into the local second hand store that's there, Myrornas. Myrornas used to have a store in central Falun as well, and even if they are one of the more expensive second hand stores, the fact that they were open when all other shops were open and was very central made it a natural thing to just pop into it. Since it closed down and moved to Borlänge I've been buying a lot less second hand things.

At Myrornas I first found what's probably a 1980's romantic skirt that will fit nicely as a simple early 20th century petticoat. It's white cotton with two flounces and some broderie Anglaise on it. Then I saw it. On the rack among a lot of other party clothes was a bodice that just screamed early 20th century. I got closer, and then realized that it is probably exactly that.

I started to open it, and when I saw the insides I actually got weak in my knees, it was so exquisite. Of course it's way too small for me, but I just had to buy it. The thought of it handing in that store and the risk that somebody would buy it that didn't appreciate that it's an antique was simply unbearable. So now I own a proper antique piece of clothing, even if I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I'm not good enough to exactly date it, but I would guess around 1900-1910, probably closer to the later. Here are some more details.

The sleeves are a wider outer sleeve that ends with an applique and Pearl fringe, and then there is a thin lace undersleeve peeking out.

I found it interesting to see these stripes on the inside. They are well hidden so you can't see them on the outside.

The lace collar is supported all the way, and it fastens with a snap to the main bodice, but is closed with hooks attaching one of the spiral supports.

The outer fabrc is fairly loose and closes with small hooks and eyes since it doesn't carry any strain. The main closure is in the strength layer and lining. It's amde up from a heavy cotton, it feels almost like a denim, and then lined in a striped fabric.


It's closed with heavier hooks and eyes. The lower part has a steel bone and here the hooks are all on the same side. The upper closure is unboned, and here the hooks and eyes alternates to keep them shut even if there isn't much tension to them.

There are boning channels on the seams, but he boning only goes up to around the bust.

One of the very few placec where it looks a bit worn is that one of the steel bones is sticking out, but it must be attached well, because I couldn't move the bone at all.

All in all I'm very happy with this piece of actual fashion history.




No comments:

Post a Comment