Wednesday 4 January 2017

Historical Sew Monthly 2017

2015 was a good HSM year, but in 2016 I dropped all the challenges after the first few. I'm hoping to return and my goal is to complete all the challenges this year.

Here is the link to what HSM is all about.

And here are the challenges, together with my thoughts around them. For most of them I don't have any plans at the moment.

1. January: Firsts & Lasts – Create either the first item in a new ensemble, or one last piece to put the final fillip on an outfit.

It's an easy start. For my Robe à la Francaise project I will need both pocket hoops and petticoats that fit over the hoops. All my 18th century petticoats are made to fit over my 1780's bumpad.

2. February: Re-Make, Re-Use, Re-Fashion – Sew something that pays homage to the historical idea of re-using, re-making and re-fashioning. Turn one thing into another. Re-fit or re-fashion an old gown into something you would wear again. Re-trim a hat for a new outfit, or re-shape a modern hat to be a historical hat. Re-purpose the fabric from an old garment (your own or a commercial one) into a new garment.

I will simply go up into my attic and see if I find something that I'm not using, and if I can turn it into something new.

3. March: The Great Outdoors – Get out into the weather and dirt with an item for outdoor pursuits.

This fits with both the jacket and gaiters for my bicycle outfit.

4. April: Circles, Squares & Rectangles – Many historical garments, and the costumes of many people around the world, use basic geometric shapes as their basis. In this challenge make a garment made entirely of squares, rectangles and circles

I have no idea for this one, but it will probably just be something small, since I'm going to Celebration in April, and I'm hopefully working on my bicycle outfit for the rest of the month.

5. May: Literature – The written word has commemorated and immortalised fashions for centuries, from the ‘gleaming’ clothes that Trojans wore before the war, to Desdemona’s handkerchief, ‘spotted with strawberries’, to Meg in Belle Moffat’s borrowed ballgown, and Anne’s longed for puffed sleeves. In this challenge make something inspired by literature: whether you recreate a garment or accessory mentioned in a book, poem or play, or dress your favourite historical literary character as you imagine them.

I think I will force myself to reread The Scarlet Pimpernel. I still love the film from 1982, unfortunately the books are not as good as I thought they were when I was a kid. Still it's my favorite time period, and I will try to find something. I'm thinking one of Marguerite's fichus that are mentioned a couple of times would be a good project, without being too big.

6. June: Metallics – make something in silver, gold, bronze, and copper, whether it be an actual metal, cloth of gold or silver, or lamé.

I think that I will need to first find the material and then come up with an idea on what to do with it.

7. July: Fashion Plate – Make an outfit inspired by a fashion plate, whether it is a direct replica, or a more toned down version that fits the resources and lifestyle of the character you are portraying. If you want to stick to a period prior to the 17th century advent of fashion plates, either re-interpret a Victorian ‘historical’ fashion illustration as period accurate, or use an image from your period that depicts and idealised and aspirational fashion.

The Lady Poe outfit will not get it's final trimmings for Orlando, this is a really good challenge to finish off the Lady Poe with a proper accurate trim.

8. August: Ridiculous – Fashion is sometimes a little silly, and historical fashions can look particularly odd. Make something that was considered outrageous in its own time, or is just utterly ridiculous to modern eyes.

My thoughts immediately go towards some headwear. Maybe it could be a fitting challenge for something that will fit my 1520s outfit?

9. September: Seen Onscreen – Be inspired by period fashions as shown onscreen (film or TV), and recreate your favourite historical costume as a historically accurate period piece.

The question is if I will have the time/energy/funds to make another full costume. Ever since I was a very small girl I've dreamt about Marguerite's white gown that she wears at the garden party in the 1982 adaptation of The Scarlet Pimpernel. Maybe it's time to finally recreate it.


10. October: Out of Your Comfort Zone – Create a garment from a time period you haven’t done before, or that uses a new skill or technique that you’ve never tried before.

No idea yet.

11. November: HSF Inspiration – One of the best things about the HSF is seeing what everyone else creates, and using it to spark your own creativity. Be inspired by something that has been made for the HSF over the years to make your own fabulous item.

No idea yet

12. December: Go Wild – You can interpret this challenge as an excuse to make something that incorporates animal print, or wild animals in some way, or to simply make something wild and over the top.

No idea yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment